A wooden standard mill stood here as early as 1482. Until 1795, the owners of the manor of Bronkhorst had the right to use the wind. The inhabitants of Bronkhorst were obliged to have their corn ground at this mill (mill compulsory).
In 1803, F.A. Graaf van Limburg Stirum sold the mill to Jan Breukink. In 1844, the mill burned down on the night of May 17-18. His son Christiaan and his wife Wendelina Hermina Kets had the current stone mill built as a successor to the burned mill. After Breukink's death, his widow was the owner until 1860. Until just after World War II, the mill operated as a grinding tool. When the sails were stopped, the mill became a prey to decay.
In 1958, a committee raised money to have the mill partially restored, which was completed in 1960. As the first mill in the Netherlands, the mill then received turning bonuses and a counter for the hours of operation. As a result, the government helped pay for the operation of the mill, which remained in private hands. Nevertheless, the mill again came to a standstill. Ir W. ten Duis then bought the mill and transferred it to a foundation, which allowed the mill to be operated again.
Different kinds of flour are sold in the mill store.
|Admission:||For details see website|
|Access for persons with disabilities:||For details see website|